Adam Brock

Adam Brock
Adam in full swing

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mom had a busy day

Hi folks,

I know I don't talk about mom very much, because my activities are all important in my eyes, but I'll tell you what she told me about her day today.

First, at 11am she met with a man named Steve Harper who coordinates volunteer tutors to help children of refugee families from the mountains in Central Vietnam. She didn't even know these people existed, but there are apparently about a thousand in Durham and some living nearby who need help with school work. One family has a boy about my age who also has Autism, so mom will get to talk to his mom about what that is like. She will do this on Thursdays, and seems to be excited about it. She and Caleb walked to the Duke building where they had the meeting--sounds like they got hot since it was over 90 again today!

Then at 1pm she met with a woman from Blacknall Presbyterian about being a childcare worker on Wednesday nights and Thursday mornings. She might even take Caleb and I with her on the Wednesday nights if things work out.

At 3pm she met with a lady from the ARC of North Carolina, an organisation that coordinates support services for people with special needs. Mom will be assigned a "support broker" who will create a personal needs plan for me and help mom figure out what kinds of services I might need and receive. I think she's most interested in the respite services, but she'll have to call the ARC of Durham for that. I think having a support broker is way cool! I liked the lady too, she was pretty neat and talked nice to me and Caleb.

Then mom took us to Burger King and we had a picnic in the park, since she was too tired to cook. We didn't argue, it was nicer out then and we got to play. Now it's off to bed for us all--whew!

Love, Adam

No comments:

This is my brother

This is my brother
Caleb unplugged!