Adam Brock

Adam Brock
Adam in full swing

Friday, September 19, 2008

Third day in two weeks

I was sent home again today, and this makes three times in the last two weeks. My mom sure was frustrated, but not really at me and not really at the school. At "IT", she said. Whatever that means.

Mom has nothing but good things to say about my teachers and the other kids, but she thinks they are expecting too much of me. It's a K-2 class, and all the other kids are either 1st or 2nd grade. They are bigger and more mature than me, and need to do more academic work than me, but I have to tag along and do what they do, which makes me cross. Not only that, but they don't give me any time at all the whole morning to play outside, which is apparently normal here but mom thinks is pure-D craziness. She said that, not me (though I agree!)

The other trouble is that my teachers have never been trained in dealing with kids with Autism. Now, even I can tell you that's going to cause problems! They think I hit and kick when really I'm just trying to communicate and play. I understand that when I do it the other kids do it too and that makes it hard on everyone. My teachers are really trying to help, but mom thinks something is going to have to change. Next week is a short week for me (holiday!) and then the week after is THE meeting. In between mom will go to a meeting of the Autism society and hopefully make some good connections to help us.

Well, we just took a walk to "Rolly-pops" with all four of us, and now it's time for bed. Talk to you soon!
Love, Adam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problems with people expecting too much from Robert. Once in a while, someone would accept him on his terms. Pray for that someone to arrive this year!

Siân said...

Hang on in there Steph - you're doing a great job. You too Adam!!
What's rolly pops?

This is my brother

This is my brother
Caleb unplugged!