Adam Brock

Adam Brock
Adam in full swing

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving Jeremy

Hi all,

Mom has been telling us stories about their time in CA, and here's a good one I'm passing on. I'll tell it like she told me, it's better that way:

Jeremy

Hiya Adam! Brother and I went to the zoo today with your cousins Micah and Kaitlyn, Aunt Diana and Uncle Brian and Oma and Opa. We missed you and your daddy--I really wanted someone to take me on a walking tour of the whole grounds without stopping! There were lots of rocks to climb on, some great little monkeys swinging around (and one that made a really loud sound!), and even a train! Your brother loved the train, so we took it once before we left.

As we got off the train, I saw a boy, a bit older than you. In fact, he turned out to be 15, and his name was Jeremy. He was sitting in a wheelchair, waiting for his mom (or his carer?) to get a ticket for the train. He looked a little sad, so I went over to talk to him. I told him I liked his red cap--you would have loved it, nice and bright, hanging off his head a little like daddy's hangs off yours. His eyes lit up when I talked to him, and he reached out his hand to hold mine while we talked. Your brother was with me, and when his mom came back she said that Jeremy's hair used to be the color of your brother's hair. She showed me a picture of Jeremy when he was your age, and he was really cute--almost as cute as you! :)

She said thank you to me for stopping to talk to him, which I thought was a bit funny until I looked up and saw all the other people standing way back and looking at us. I couldn't tell what they were thinking, I could only think of what they were missing. Jeremy's smile as I talked to him could not have been any bigger--it absolutely lit up my day for a few brief minutes and made me realise something.

I realised that it made me feel a bit like I feel when I'm with you. You light up the world Adam, and not only for me but for lots of people. I hope someday that God will use you to the way He used Jeremy yesterday--to encourage me that in this world of seeming perfection, the only thing that matters is a genuine smile from someone who feels loved.

We love you Adam. We love Jeremy too.

2 comments:

Diana Duke said...

Beautiful and powerful observations. Thanks for putting it on the record.

Siân said...

That is a wonderful piece of writing Mrs. Brock!

This is my brother

This is my brother
Caleb unplugged!